10 July 2011

Fundamental things

Casablanca

(1942)
As you know, I watch this every year around Bastille Day. This year, even though evening events this weekend make it inconvenient to watch it, I thought--especially after watching the U.S. women beat Brazil in one of the most exciting World Cup matches I've ever seen--that I'd better get it watched before Wednesday's semifinal match vs. France; wouldn't want anything to interfere with my own internal Franco-American amity. Wouldn't want La Marseillaise to sound sour.

Today's new notice: at the Belle Aurore flashback, when Rick and Ilsa are standing by the piano, he looks at her and seems to notice that her upset is more even than having Nazis tanking into Paris calls for--he doesn't know what, but he knows something's up, which gives an ironic twist to his jocularity about whether the conductor on the train can perform their nuptials.

No comments: