07 January 2011

If you knew

A couple of weeks ago, I alluded to my then-planned media-related New Year's resolution, and this is it: On Fridays this year (why Fridays? Just seemed like a good idea to take care of housecleaning at the start of the weekend. Every Friday? Not necessarily. Most Fridays? Probably) I will be nominating candidates for deaccession from my collection.

One set of candidates will come from my DVR hard drive, specifically from the movies that have been there at least 2 years, since when I got the new toy, I went a little crazy. This won't affect you, because after watching the movie I'll simply delete the film from the drive (or, in rare cases, specify that I want to keep it), and that will be that.

But you can help me with the other set of candidates. Because when the DVD player was a new toy (and during some periods since), I also yielded to excessive acquisitiveness, such that I own films I haven't watched in years, don't much look forward to watching, and in some cases haven't even removed the shrink wrap from. So some Fridays I'll be selecting a DVD of a film that I haven't seen for 5 years or more, I'll watch it, and unless that screening convinces me that I need to keep it (rough rule of thumb: do I anticipate watching it at least twice more in my remaining time on the planet?), I'll slug it "DVD (giveaway)," and you'll have a chance to claim it on waivers, absolutely free, first-claimed, first-served. If no blog readers claim it on the weekend, I'll take it in to work and put it on the take-me-home table.

Peggy Sue Got Married

(1986)
A perfect example of a DVD I bought because it was cheap and I remembered liking the film, but come on, do I really need to own it? Particularly having just discovered that I can stream it from Netflix? So it's yours for the asking. And it is a pretty good time-travel/Oz/Wonderful Life kind of film, at least until Coppola runs into a brick wall on the how-to-get-her-back-to-the-present plot point.

What elevates it is that it gives only a nod to the change-the-past-change-the-future issue that often bogs down the genre but pays more attention to how to address the regrets of the present in the present. And Kathleen Turner has never been more appealing, not even in Body Heat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is why I buy very few DVDs. With me, once I own them, I hardly ever watch them. Something about the "great I can watch this movie at any time" thing. Yeah you can watch it anytime but you won't, because you can. Make sense?

Another good place to maybe get rid of them is if there is a senior living complex. I know they sometimes have books in common areas that residents can borrow to read, maybe they have a DVD library also.

Good luck with your project. It will be interesting to see what you purge.