06 November 2010

I don't wanna know much about much

An unsuper supernatural double feature.

Paranormal Activity 2

Crit
Gosh, did I really like the first one? Not really, now that I check. OK, when Paranormal Activity 3 is coming, will someone please remind me that I've found both of the first two to be about 3 minutes total scare buried in 90 minutes of quotidian tedium? Thanks.

Hereafter

Crit
Yes, as advertised, Clint gives us one hell of a tsunami to start, and then . . . well, he gives us some pretty people to look at (none prettier than Little Opie Cunningham's daughter, Bryce Dallas Howard), and three Hall of Fame cities (San Francisco, Paris, and London), but not only does nothing much happen, but Eastwood painstakingly moves the three main characters around the chessboard in order to make that nothing happen. I'm sure there are people whose lives have been changed by this film; mine, however, merely became a couple of hours shorter.
Trailers
  • The Fighter--Wow! Let's hope they cleared out the cliché barn on the trailer!
  • True Grit--Remade by the Coens, with Jeff Bridges in the Duke role? Skeptical, but hey. Maybe I should rent the original.
  • The Rite--I'm seeing nothing here to suggest that this will be a sensible alternative to taking another look at The Exorcist.
  • Restless--This, on the other hand, looks very promising, Gus Van Sant directing what looks like a sort of unigenerational Harold and Maude.
  • Unknown--And this Kafkaesque story of identity theft could be terrific, unless it's dreadful.

No comments: