21 March 2010

Tell 'em I died of the same

Destry Rides Again

(1939)
Is this film brave in combining comedy and tragedy, or is it cowardly in killing off the most engaging romantic interest to clear the path between James Stewart and the boring virgin? Yes, both, I think. But regardless, what a ripsnorting wonder of a Western from the movies' best year, and what a treat to hear Dietrich sing two of her best songs, written by her compatriot Friedrich Holländer with Frank Loesser, "You've Got That Look" and "The Boys in the Back Room."

Hey, I didn't know that. I knew there was a later Destry starring Audie Murphy, but I didn't know the story was filmed seven years earlier starring Tom Mix. Neither of those is available on DVD, though, so you'll just have to settle for this one.

No comments: