25 December 2009

Director's cut

Los abrazos rotos (Broken embraces)

Crit
Ah, nothing says Christmas like the latest Almodóvar. There's nothing particularly new here--love, obsession, betrayal, make-believe, movies--but then Mozart used the same dozen notes over and over again, didn't he?

An odd, twisty plot that ultimately makes sense, if it isn't ever really as convincing as it is satisfying.

Penélope Cruz--aka "that little troll," per JGK, who should be grateful that I disguise him behind initials, though he may be getting a little tired of having me mention this every time I mention her--continues to earn A's in Almodóvar's films, having gradually worked her way up to the B+/A- level in English-language ones. And if this is what a troll looks like, where do I get my green card?
Trailer

1 comment:

Jennie Tonic said...

I found it enjoyable enough, but it never really moved me. I think it's a combination of never liking or trusting the director, plus the melodrama of Cruz's circumstance. The character I like the most, Judit, is too content to play a subservient role. Still, best movie I've seen this decade.