14 November 2009

El amigo mejor del hombre

Amores Perros

(2000)
Got a better directorial debut for the decade about to end? I can't think offhand of one to beat it since that of Tarantino, to whom González Iñárritu owes a lot here, especially in the final segment (though perhaps not the most heartbreaking scene in that part).

It had been 5 years since I'd last watched this, and I had to screen it again because this week someone asked me about one of the 3 segments, which I remembered vividly but didn't associate w/ this film until Jennie Tonic pointed me to it. How I could remember so much about the segment but not know that it came from one of my favorite films of recent years is a mystery of the mid-50s mind, I guess. Best not to think about it too much.

But hey, here's a Q for someone who knows Mexico City: is there a skyscraper there that could be mistaken at a distance for the Empire State Building? Because in the breakneck opening sequence and again in the reprise of that sequence, we get a long shot of something that looks very ESBish. Is this a directorial joke or a real local landmark?

No comments: