25 September 2009

Think globally, wank locally

No Impact Man: The Documentary

Crit

Yeah, I admit it: I thought this guy (Colin Beavan, the titular eco-hero) was a sanctimonious little prick from everything I'd read, and I admit further that had I not been prejudiced, I might have come away from this admiring him rather than just admiring his experiment, but while I'll readily admit that there's ample (locally grown) food for thought here, the guy is still a sanctimonious little prick, who decides on a radically deprivational way of life as a topic for his next book, then coerces his wife into going along with it.

That's what's really interesting about this film: the intramural psychosocial dynamics. Beavan's wife, Michelle Conlin, unwisely ignores advice given by readers of her husbands blog (and echoed by everyone she knows), to "DTMFA" (dump the motherfucking asshole) and becomes a textbook example of Stockholm syndrome, buying into most of his loony doctrine.

No comments: