23 February 2008

Technically, the procedure is brain damage

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(2004)
Michel, Michel, Michel. Good, god, man: you nailed universality here: for everyone who has ever loved and lost (and I hope to fuck that's everyone), you have created the seductive, awful fantasy that must make tougher audiences than me weep. So why the fuck are you wasting your talent with a half-assed wankfest like Be Kind? Is it that you can't write, can only realize others' vision, as Lane suggests? I don't buy it. If you're a genius, you're a fucking genius, and if you're not a genius, I doubt that Charlie Kaufman's genius, formidable though it may be, could rub off so convincingly.

I defy anyone who is satisfied with Gondry's latest effort (you know who you are) to watch this again and suggest that Be Kind is even in the same ecosystem, say nothing about ballpark.

No comments: