20 May 2017

Cross purposes


Alien: Covenant

Crit
I'm sorry, I can't remember anything that happened in space, because I was so distracted by the prologue, wherein a scientist/industrialist so brilliant and wealthy and powerful that he has acquired some of the great artworks of the Western world, and a home that fairly reeks with 22nd-century style and class, displays Michelangelo's monumental David in a room with such a low ceiling that he has to put holes in both ceiling and floor to accommodate the height of the sculpture, which thus can't be viewed properly from anywhere and presumably can be viewed completely only by standing near its silo and craning your neck up and down. Wtff?

OK, I lied: I do remember one thing that happens in space, or rather on the mysterious planet on which the Covenant ill-advisedly lands: someone quotes a famous poem and attributes it to the wrong Romantic poet.

Clearly, we need to do everything we can to keep the NEA and the NEH alive.


The Lovers

Crit
Well, yes, that really is one of the most misleading trailers ever. I saw it roughly a hundred times, over what seems like a year, and it promised a wacky, slapstick bedroom farce. Despite a cast of people I love or at least like a lot--Debra Winger, Tracy Letts, Aidan Gillen, and Melora Walters--it looked pretty dismal.

But no. A bit of bedroom farce, yes, but there's nothing wrong with that, and one bit of slapstick that's funny even after a hundred viewings of the trailer. But also: weight. Weight unimaginable from the trainer. This is a serious (and seriously funny, make no mistake) plumbing of the reasons people come together and why they sometimes stick beyond the point either one much wants to.

One of the best films I'll see against my will this year.
Trailers

No comments: