20 June 2015

Almost blue

Inside Out 3D

Crit
I hate to say this, because it sounds like hyperbole and I'm not even sure myself whether the afterglow will fade, but while watching this, I felt as if I was watching one of the best films I've ever seen.

That judgment may not stand; this one certainly will: it is one of the smartest treatments of psychology in the history of cinema (by a strange coincidence, one of the dumbest, Spellbound, was playing next door), and maybe the smartest treatment of memory. (Perverse double feature: this and Memento.)

But if you want to take your kids, I should warn you: they will be traumatized. Maybe not so much by the film itself--though there's some seriously scary shit going down--but certainly by the spectacle of their parents alternating between hyenaesque guffaws and bansheelike wails. In fact, the film will probably inspire many children to study psychology, to try to figure out what the hell is up with Mom & Dad.
Trailers

No comments: