18 July 2014

Don't put your lips on that thing!

2001: A Space Odyssey

(1968)
First impetus for watching this was seeing the recent Planet of the Apes sequel; second impetus was a friend's report of having seen it in a 70mm print.

I was 14 when this came out, and I remember that, as with many films of the era, I read the Mad magazine parody before seeing the film (the monolith was likened to the box the U.N. Secretariat building came in; an ape in the opening sequence says it's inspiring him to do intelligent things. "Like what?" another ape asks. "Like getting out of this film"). Then when I saw it, it was in Beardstown, Illinois, with my brother. He's 9 years older, so we didn't hang much; it's the only time I remember just the two of us seeing a movie together.

It blew my mind then, and it blows my mind only a bit less now.

No comments: