26 April 2014

Raping with love


Jodorowsky's Dune

Crit
Golly, that was fun. Had you asked me a few hours ago to name my favorite documentary about a film that wasn't made, I'd have unhesitatingly said Lost in La Mancha, the disaster film about Terry Gilliam's failure to make his film based on Don Quixote. And had you asked me a few hours ago whether I've ever seen a film by Alejandro Jodorowsky, I'd have said no, nor do I have any immediate plans to, though I've been morbidly fascinated by trailers for El Topo and The Holy Mountain at IFC. And had you asked a couple of hours ago whether I've ever read Frank Herbert's Dune, I'd have no, nor do I intend to.

All my answers are different now: this is easily the best and most engaging film I've seen in that subgenre of cinematic frustration, and if El Topo were available to stream from Netflix, I might watch it tonight, and I might just read Dune sometime. But mainly, I desperately want what I can never have: to see this film that was never made.


Nymphomaniac: Volume 2

Crit
Lots fewer cocks than in vol. 1, but lots more excruciating sadomasochism, which I suspect explains the much lower Rotten Tomato numbers: much of this is flat-out brutal to watch. But the psychophilosophical exchanges between Joe (Charlotte Gainsbourg) and Seligman () remain satisfying, at least until the final reel or so, when Seligman delivers a feminist defense of Joe's behavior that, while legitimate, feels a little too pat--as does what follows. As I often say about Lars's films: glad to have seen it, will probably never return.
Trailers


No comments: