07 March 2014

When I paint my masterpiece

Tim's Vermeer

Crit
The scholar Phillip Steadman and the artist David Hockney had written books in which they speculated about the use of optical devices by artists including Johannes Vermeer, but the inventor Tim Jenison set the task of figuring out just how such a device might be practical and just what form such a workable device might take, and then using the device to copy one of Vermeer's most famous works, The Music Lesson.
The Music Lesson, Johannes Vermeer
How serious was the guy? Well, he spent 9 months just making a replica of the room that is the setting of Vermeer's work, buying what he could, but making most of it--this before he ever touched brush to canvas.

His discoveries along the way, and his remarkable results, make an extraordinary case for his hypothesis. He calls himself about 90% convinced by the end, and I'd go along with that. Apart from that, this is one of those films I love that takes a topic I'm not inherently particularly interested in and leaves me fascinated.
Trailers

No comments: