02 March 2014

Freebird

Kazetachinu (The wind rises)

Crit
Huh: while watching the opening credits and then the long, speechless first sequence, I was thinking, "I'd rather hear Japanese voices and have to read subtitles than hear familiar American actors' voices," and guess what: I got my wish. In its latest display of haphazard management (well, actually, it's a tie for "latest": it's also showing Stranger by the Lake, which I would have gone to this weekend [and which will probably be gone by next], but I learned that only on arriving at the theater today, because the website didn't list it a few days ago, and Fandango and MoviePass still don't), it does not mention on the website that (I guess) Japanese and English soundtracks are available at alternate screenings. (And that's only a guess on my part, based on MoviePass having 2 listings for the film, though they're differentiated only by showtimes.)

Anyway, this is a remarkable grown-up animated biopic driven by the tension between an essential antiwar sentiment and the glorification of the design of one of the Second World War's most efficient killing machines, the Zero fighter jet. A gorgeous, unhurried, unnervingly exhilarating film.
Trailers

No comments: