13 July 2013

Jaeger Meister

Pacific Rim

Crit
Oh, come on, Guillermo: this is just silly. I wasn't expecting another philosophical vampire film or a haunting and sophisticated Spanish Civil War allegory, but I guess I was expecting something at least on the level of the Hellboy flicks. Speaking of which, this really perks up when Ron Perlman shows up, but he's underutilized (that said: don't leave early). Apart from him, the only human to care about is Striker Bell--er, Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba). I sorta felt as if I'd been tricked into seeing a Transformers movie.
Trailers
  • Gravity--Seems as if I'd seen a trailer or at least a teaser for this already, but not one in 3D, and not one in which I noticed that it's directed by Del Toro's Amigo  (who, naturally, is acknowledged in the end credits of Pacific Rim, along with Amigo Número Tres, Alejandro González Iñárritu, his patronymic misspelled wit a terminal s, unless we [and IMDb] have been misled all these years).
  • 2 Guns--Denzel, Marky Mark, reluctant-buddies movie. Irresistible.

No comments: