03 July 2012

Perforations

Your Sister's Sister

Crit
Yeah, we could make this one too--maybe we could make anything that has Mark Duplass in it. I mean, hell, anyone could make this: short opening party scene with maybe a dozen people, 2 or 3 with lines, then the entire film has 3 people in it, zero extras, and it's mostly in one location. Granted, it's a great location, a sprawling Pacific Northwest forest home, but it doesn't have to be that nice. You could definitely make this film for [mumble] thousand dollars, though granted not with Emily Blunt and Rosemarie DeWitt.

But I digress. It's a largely likable film, and if I had suspended a little more disbelief (seriously? they can all be happy with a solution that brings the eternal sore point into their midst forever?) and been a little more willing to accept pretty romcom conventional workings out, I'd have liked it largely. As is, the principals are engaging enough (though as I've mentioned before, I run hot & cold on Blunt, and here I was pretty lukewarm toward her) that I liked it pretty well. I can forgive the male-fantasy-of-sleeping-with-a-hot-lesbian bit because it goes so awkwardly and unsatisfactorily, though I can't be as tolerant of the tricking-the-vegan-into-eating-butter-as-a-funny-conspiratorial-joke bit.
Trailer

No comments: