21 July 2012

Gotta dance


Singin' in the Rain

(1952)
Have I ever mentioned (yeah, I see that I have, but it's such a shameful confession that it bears repeating) that I used to find the Broadway Melody Ballet sorta boring, and I didn't find Cyd Charisse sexy in it? But I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now.

I expected that what would most resonate with me post-working-on-a-movie-set would be the sequence of efforts to get the sound recording to work (and while watching it I certainly did hear echoes of Sean Whitsitt cautioning actors to avoid random surprisingly noisy activities), but in fact the bit that most gave me the Scary Normal feel was when Don (Gene Kelly) takes Kathy (Debbie Reynolds) into the sound stage, produces a beautiful fake sunset and an enchanting fake breeze, and sings "You Were Meant for Me." Yes! Fake beauty! What's wrong with that?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did I tell you I saw this on the big screen week before last. It was great, though a comedy of errors when the movie stopped 2 minutes from the end and they couldn't get Dish to load. Well actually they got it to load once and FF to the end (that was the funny part).