20 February 2011

Slinger

Spider-Man

(2002)
Some films you love because they show you something new every screening; some, like this one, you love because they never change. As was true 9 years ago, the best thing about this for me remains the astonishing animation of the gravity-free webslinging that made the Marvel Comics Spider-Man of my youth so . . . well, yeah, amazing.

Didn't realize what in my subconscious led me to this tonight until I started watching, then realized that it was probably my just having finished David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, about a nerdy, bullied kid who becomes sort of a superhero, at least in terms of his world, but instead of getting bitten by a genetically altered (radioactive in the comics, dammit) spider, he has to bite inside for his great power (and the great responsibility that comes with it).

No comments: