10 October 2010

Skype, Goat

Soul Kitchen

Crit
Fatih Akin takes a break from the intensity of Head-On and The Edge of Heaven for a wacky comic romp, and if the elements are conventional (evil forces want to deprive our hero of the enterprise he has worked hard, sacrificing money and romance, to build, but all his friends get together and put on a big show in Dad's barn . . . well, OK, not the last part, but you get the idea), the people make you care what happens even as you know exactly what will happen. Which distinguishes Akin's work from the recent work of some directors I could name.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

 

Crit


Will name, in fact: Woody Allen.

I'm really just not getting anything out of this relationship anymore. Yes, it was magic once, and I still treasure the memories, but it has become excruciating--I actually considered walking out, which is this first time I've had that thought, I believe, since Whatever Works.
Trailers

No comments: