10 September 2010

Nothing funny

Blood Simple

(1984)
We've had Ethan and Joel for more than a quarter of a century now--and Frances McDormand, too--and for all the entertainment they've given us over that time, I think their first feature remains my favorite. Hope the Japanese remake, A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop, comes to town.

Can't believe I never noticed this before, but I was certain tonight when I heard the voice on Meurice's answering machine, and have since confirmed it, that that's another Coen regular, Holly Hunter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the scene where the guy (can't remember which one now) trys to shoot himself free through the wall. Showcase cinemas uses the same technique of light streaming through imaginary bullet holes at the beginning of every show. It's a brilliant effect and I can't believe it doesn't get used more often.