12 September 2010

Big truths and pissy little bugs

Animal Kingdom

Crit
This has been called an Aussie Goodfellas, and I can see that: haphazard violence, implication of the ostensibly innocent, and a sociopathic loose cannon who will do anything to cover his tracks even if he leaves more obvious tracks in the process. But the pivotal character here, Mama Smurf, fawning and mouth-kissing on the outside, is underneath as icy and lupine a materfamilias since Livia Soprano, who is herself the iciest and most lupine materfamilias since her namesake, the Rome-suckling she-wolf of I, Claudius.

A chilling film with a wow finish.
Trailers
  • Mesrine--Oh, yes: posters for both arts in the lobby, too.
  • I'm Still Here--Soft review in the Times Friday, but I'm still interested.
  • No trailer, but a marquee promise of Blood Noodle, as I'm calling it now.

No comments: