08 January 2010

Straight to hell

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Crit

I was ready for anything from blissful enchantment to uncharted perplexity, but the one thing I never imagined I'd get from Terry Gilliam's latest and Heath Ledger's last was sheer mind-numbing boredom. Yeesh!

Almost all the worthwhile moments are provided by watching Tom Waits (cast as the Devil) and staring at Lily Cole. But the plot's dependence on the objectifying battle for the soul of a 20-something woman playing a not-quite-16 girl whose often-scantily-clad patent past-sixteenness the camera glories in is more squirmmaking than enticing.

Trailer

  • The Wolfman--Ah, yes: I'd heard about the upcoming Benicio Del Toro vehicle, but I was eager to get an eyeful. Might work, but risibility looks likelier.

No comments: