01 January 2010

The crisis of faith in the contemporary novel

The Third Man

(1949)
Golly, do you suppose Vienna really has such enormous shadows? All the streetlights must be at ankle level, I guess.

If you watch the Criterion Collection edition of this (and you should), take 5 minutes beforehand for the Bogdanovich introduction, which includes his account of Welles's definition of the "star part": essentially any role where everyone spends the first hour or so talking about an absent character who, when he finally shows up, gets credit for great acting in his absence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Saw this in the theatre last year. So great on the big screen. Every time I watch it I still almost gasp when the light from the window shines on Welles' face when he is standing in the doorway. The first time I saw it I think I actually gasped out loud. Such a dramatic scene. I love this movie.