25 October 2009

Guy walks into a synagogue . . .

The Damned United

Crit
Ah, football footage from before my football time, a wonderful performance by Michael Sheen as the obsessive, hubris-overwhelmed manager Brian Clough, and support from the usual Brit character-actor suspects: Timothy Spall, Colm Meaney, Jim Broadbent. Great fun, and a perfectly straightforward narrative. Which was a good brain-rest ahead of . . .

A Serious Man

Crit
I don't know what the hell to make of this, except that I'm glad to have seen it. Job redux (with an inexplicable opening parable that I suppose can be said to set a mood of ambiguity, but that's kind of a stretch), wherein God's earthly representatives essentially answer all the eternal eternal questions with "don't ask," and only Grace Slick really seems to have a bead on the truth. A long, bizarre, entertaining shaggy Jew story.

Trailers

4 comments:

Jennie Tonic said...

I really liked A Serious Man. I found it funny & sympathetic. I liked Larry a lot more than I expected to, and the boys are hilarious. The females are pretty much awful caricatures, but you can't have everything. It sure was nice when things started getting better!

I saw the trailed for It's Complicated, and I'm afraid the sad truth is I'm happy to watch Meryl Streep in about anything.

cheeseblab said...

"Started getting better"? Did we see the same movie?

Jennie Tonic said...

It did start to get better! But that was a joke too. I don't want to spoil it for your readers who have yet to see it.

cheeseblab said...

Yeah, OK, I take your point. Mustn't mention the flying saucer coming down at the end--oh, wait: that was a different Coens film w/ Man in the title.