20 December 2008

Enter ghost

Fanny och Alexander (Fanny and Alexander)

(1982)
OK, now I can make the comparison I made at the start of a post a couple of weeks ago, and I stand by it. This really is lots better than Home Alone. I should have watched it a year ago, because much of this is a riff on Hamlet--a riff that might be a tad more subtle, I might add. Christmas movie in which the day is saved by a Jewish moneylender, which is a nice touch. Mostly it's childhood through the Bergmanian lens of death and faithlessness. It's also well over 3 hours long, which, frankly, was kinda much more me the day after an exhausting M%--but at least it wasn't the 5-hour+ uncut TV version. My latest candidate for the most beautiful woman in the movies ever: Ewa Fröling, who plays the titular kids' mother.

No comments: