31 December 2008

Bêtes noires

Year-end bring-the-bastard-down double feature

Frost/Nixon

Post
Way disappointed in this: far too melodramatic, and unnecessarily so, given the drama inherent in the material. I suspect there's more truth about Nixon in Dick.

What a year for Toby Jones, playing enabler to the two most hated presidents of my lifetime.

Valkyrie

Post
Less disappointed in this because my expectations are lower: just kinda bored. And watching von Stauffenberg's wife, children, and secretary stare worshipfully at Tom Cruise got old really fast.
Trailers
  • State of Play--Good cast led by Russell Crowe as a newspaperman, so I have to be a 4, but I saw the trailer twice and less than 24 hours later had to remind myself what it was about, which can't be a good sign.
  • My Bloody Valentine 3-D--Oh, golly, how long have we been waiting . . . ?
  • And how disappointed am I to have gotten to the end of the year without seeing a trailer for Hotel for Dogs? It opens in just 23 days!

No comments: