30 August 2008

Misunderstood

The Criterion, which is still showing The Dark Knight, presents an informal weeklong Ledgerfest, four films in one of the tiny DVD-projection screening rooms--a beautiful use of the theater's most recent expansion. The other films are Brokeback Mountain, I'm Not There, and Monster's Ball, and if I weren't doing an M5 tomorrow, and if the Mets weren't in a pennant race, I'd have gone to one or two of those. As is, I'm settling for the one I hadn't seen before:

Ned Kelly (2004)

Crit

And I wasn't really missing much by not having seen it. Beautiful location shooting in Victoria, Australia, but the moral vision is strictly black and white: Ned never shoots at any cop without giving the cop a free shot at him first, he agonizes over the killing that the nasty English (or co-opted Irish) cops force upon him, he robs from the rich to give to the poor (burning a few mortgages on the side) . . . well, you get the idea. A waste of my time and of Ledger's, but I can afford it more, still being alive and all.

No comments: