23 March 2008

A soupçon of asparagus

Sideways

(2004)
Drank a 2006 Mark West pinot with this. Mostly Steinbeck, with hints of Hemingway and Fitzgerald and just a soupçon of Faulkner. Doc Debs, you gotta help me w/ this.

Love this baby, even when sober. Payne doesn't like people much, but I don't think that's why all his films work so well for me. It's something about how he doesn't like them. He gently despises them, no? And isn't it about time for something new from him? IMDb shows something called Fork in the Road for 2009, but it's not written by Payne and Taylor, so . . . ?

By the way, in case there's anyone I haven't already mentioned this to, pay attention to the photo we see of young Miles and his late father when Miles is stealing money from his mother's Ajax can in the dresser: it's actually a photo of young Paul Giamatti and his late father, the former Yale president and commissioner of baseball.

2 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

Me, too. Love the fact he's drinking Merlot in a burger joint at the end--despite the no Merlot position of the rest of the movie. I think it's just a beautiful little gem of a movie.

Anonymous said...

I'm due to watch this again--ever since I was watching F*CK and they excerpted the scene where he says, "I am NOT drinking any FUCKING merlot!" I remember it being frequently laugh-out loud funny.

I think Payne's position is more love/hate. And I heard something recently about Fork in the Road . . . but I can't remember what.