15 September 2017

Piece of my heart

mother!

Crit
OK, you start with an open marriage between Rosemary's Baby and Night of the Living Dead, encourage liberal liaisons with The ShiningAlien, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Life of Brian, Saving Private Ryan, Do the Right ThingCarrie, the Manson murders, and the riots outside the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch and Alejandro Jodorowsky, and against all odds you end up with something so bizarrely original that it takes my breath, as well as the majority of my cortical function, away. I'm pretty sure I liked it, dead certain that I admire writer/director Darren Aronofsky's chutzpah and Jennifer Lawrence's fearlessness, and pleasantly surprised to discover that I know the musician covering Skeeter Davis's "The End of the World" over the end credits (having, oddly, recently heard the original serving the same function in the JFK-assassination episode of Mad Men).
Trailers

No comments: