13 August 2016

Baked goods

Sausage Party

Crit
Far be it from me to encourage the consumption of criminally proscribed substances, but if you live in one of the increasing number of locales where cannabis is legal or legalish, I think this would be a pretty good flick to see high. Since noted pothead Seth Rogan is among the creative forces as well as the voice of the protagonist, that's no surprise.

But see it straight, too. You'll appreciate more fully the qualities that might surprise you: the excellence of the Pixar-tweaking-while-admiring animation, for example, and the depth of the theological exploration and the conviction of the geopolitical satire, for a couple of others.

Mostly, though, it's just funny and obscene and anarchic as hell.

Florence Foster Jenkins

Crit
Meryl will probably get yet another Oscar nomination for this, and I wouldn't argue--or with nominations for Hugh Grant or Simon Helberg; it is without doubt an actorly picture--and I'm glad to have more of the tone deaf diva's medical background, something closer to the real-life source's real life, but I remain partial to the French telling earlier this year of the same story, Marguerite.
Trailers
  • Resident Evil: The Final Chapter--Good, maybe we'll see whether there's anything left in Milla Jovavich worth saving.
  • Doctor Strange--In the lower half of my Marvel fandom back in the day--but that doesn't mean I didn't buy & read every issue (mostly shared w/ the [Incredible, natch] Hulk in those days, as I recall), or that I'm not inclined to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the good doc.
  • Rules Don't Apply--Star-studded cast in a flick about Howard Hughes and Hollywood, written and directed by Warren Beatty; back in the days when Jennie Tonic and I pre-rated flicks, I'd have given this a 5, as in it would take unimaginably bad reviews to keep me away.

No comments: