09 July 2016

Field of dreams


The BFG

Crit
Note to Arsenal backers: this is not Steven Spielberg's biopic of Per Mertesacker.

I'm not sure what it is, actually. A plea for vegetarianism, even when the vegetables taste awful? A celebration of explosive flatulence? A call for multilateral military strikes against evildoers? (It's set in the era of Reagan and Yeltsin, when such a notion may have been a bit more plausible.) Rebecca Hall's least significant role ever?

I don't know, but it didn't do much for me. Mark Rylance is fine in the CGI-enhanced title role, because, after all, he's Mark Rylance, and young Sophie, as portrayed by Ruby Barnhill, is a model of cinematic-kid spunk-beats-cute, but I never felt invested in the story. Rarely has Spielberg bored me, but . . .


Wiener-Dog

Crit
I thought I was going to love this Todd Solondz omnibus film, the stories linked via the titular canine, but after the first two segments--cancer-surviving kid cursed with parents from hell, especially his mother (Julie Delpy); the return of the original Wiener Dog from Solondz's debut, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Dawn Wiener (Greta Gerwig this time) and one of her high school tormentors (Kieran Culkin)--the stories flag, so I'll have to settle for "liked a lot."
Trailers
Can I boast a moment? Forgot my notebook, so had to remember the following 6 titles with nothing but my brain. It helped that they mostly crowded the middle of the alphabet and were mostly a single short word: remembering KMMMPS took me a long way. Unfortunately, with the possible exception of the last, none of the films looks likely to be as memorable.

No comments: