12 September 2015

Tow zone

Learning to Drive

Crit
Oh, I get it! It's a metaphor! See, she (My Future Wife Patricia Clarkson, striving heroically to add a third dimension to her cardboard cutout, and except for the future wife part, that applies equally to the whole excellent leading cast, including Ben Kingsley, Grace Gummer, and the shamefully caricatured Sarita Choudhury) gets dumped by her husband and has to learn how to drive forward into a new life! Get it? A grotesquely heavy-handed parable in which the ostensible characters consistently behave according to the dictates of the plot, and if that should differ with behavior of human beings motivated by the things that motivate human beings, well hey, what do you want, good drama or good metaphor?

I paid nothing for this (MoviePass prepay) or for my popcorn & Diet Coke lunch (Criterion Club freebies)--nothing except 2 hours of precious life that I'll never get back.

No comments: