13 December 2014

The book of right-off

The Babadook

Crit
This is addressed to my friend Lisa, who has an impressive collection of pop-up books: sorry, but you weren't around, and I couldn't wait to see it. Moreover, I don't know how high your tolerance for scary movies is, but I should tell you that this is the scariest film I've seen as an adult, a brilliant fogging of psychology and supernatural. The setup is this: Samuel (a perfectly cute/creepy ) is a deeply disturbed not-quite-7-year-old, the disturbance arising from the fact that his father died in a car accident while taking his mother (Essie Davis) to the hospital to give birth. Without giving too much away, it also develops that Amelia is not quite the unconditionally loving mother she first seems. Into this standard haunting environment (locked basement door, dog occasionally barking at mysterious noises, cockroaches bursting from a hole behind the fridge) comes the worst children's pop-up book ever, or at least the one best calculated to keep anyone in the house from enjoying a night's sleep. And so it gets worse from there.

An absolutely terrific (in every sense) film, written and directed by Jennifer Kent, her first feature after a long and uneventful acting career. It is so good that I recommend that you skip it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the dedication, Dan! I am not usually a fan of scary movies, but this one, based on the premise of a pop-up book, is hard to resist. Well, at least I can buy the book itself. Idea for sequel - woman buys pop-up book and weird things happen?

Lisa said...

Thanks for the dedication, Dan! I am not a fan of scary movies, but this one, based on a pop-up book, is hard to resist. Maybe I will just buy the pop-up book itself. Idea for a sequel - woman buys pop-up book that serves as the basis of a scary movie and weird things happen?