22 November 2014

Hearts and minds

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, part 1

Crit
People, come on: did you not notice the "part 1" in the title? Were you not expecting to be left in an awkward plot place? This is the closest to a riot breaking out that I've ever seen in a movie theater, including one young woman right behind me who would not be mollified by her boyfriend's logic and just wanted to get out of the theater right now, apparently in hopes that the sooner she left, the sooner she'd be offered part 2.

Difficult to make this semistory work, and the film does what I'd call an honorable, workmanlike job of it. I suppose I'll be back for part 2 (maybe right in front of the young woman in the previous paragraph), but the impulse will be obligatory closure, not anticipatory excitement.

Probably the first film I've ever seen whose locations were all in Georgia (our state, i.e.) and France.

No comments: