30 August 2014

Big Twinkie

Ghostbusters (1984)

Crit
It' true, I still owe you an in-depth review of MoviePass, and I think that's coming soon, around the time I reach an important milestone with the service, but for now suffice it to say that I probably would not have gone to this 30th anniversary rerelease two months shy of my 12-month standard between screenings (as Dr. Venkman [Bill Murray] says of not having sex with possessed clients, it's more of a guideline than a rule) if I hadn't been able to do it at the cost of nothing but going to a film later in the day than I typically do on Saturday.

Which would have been too bad, because this is a film that to a surprising degree rewards a big-screen viewing again, no matter how well you know it. And having phoned my daughter on the walk to the movie theater and discussed taking her to see this when she was 8, I was particularly attuned to the scary bits and finally have to admit that while it is funnier than scary, it's a lot scarier than I've ever given it credit for.
Trailers
  • Annie--Talked to my daughter about this on the walk home, and we agree: great cast,looks awful.
  • Dumb and Dumber To--What's surprising about this trailer is all they were able to get away with without getting a red band.

No comments: