08 June 2014

Get away from her, you bitch!

The Fault in Our Stars

Crit
Walking home from this, I was trying to think how I could describe how I felt. It took until I got home and got out in the park for a while with a gin & tonic, but I finally decided: I felt as if I'd undergone emotional chemotherapy.

A cancer kids story, a young love story, a parents-and-child story--a story, in short, that braves a whole shitload of cliché potholes and sentimentality potholes but miraculously, like the car Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort) pilots so badly, arrives at its destination in much better condition than merely unscathed.

A very funny, unrestrainedly weepy film that earns its tears as honestly as it earns its laughter. A gem, and following (500) Days of Summer and The Spectacular Now, the completion of a triple crown for a screenwriting team (Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber) that I'll henceforth pretty much follow anywhere.
Trailers
  • The Book of Life--Animation style looks very interesting.
  • The Maze Runner--Huh! Young people isolated and forced to play a game of life and death; how original!

No comments: