24 May 2014

I'm younger than that now

X-Men: Days of Future Past 3D

Crit
Ow! Ow! Ow! My brain hurts from thinking too hard--now I know how Professor Ekzavier (hey, if they insist on mispronouncing it, I'm going to misspell it accordingly) feels.

Time travel to fix the present is not exactly a novel idea, but the rapid cuts between then and now, and the interactions between each given character then and now, keep us off-balance in terms of who and what to root for.

Good to see Peter Dinklage as an out and out villain, even in the worst '70s hair imaginable.


Chef

Crit
Gosh. Long time since:
  • I found a character played by Jon Favreau remotely appealing;
  • I went into a film so resistant to the crowd-pleasing qualities that have boosted its Rotten Tomatoes numbers and ended up being so thoroughly won over;
  • I've so wanted meat.
Yes, it's another of those beautiful-food, joy-of-cooking films, and it is about as persuasive in the foodie respects as any I've seen. The plotting is mechanical, the direction is unremarkable, and Scarlett Johansson is wasted, but damn, that food looks great, and that's enough. Oh, and the music helps too.
Trailers

No comments: