02 November 2013

All is lost

12 Years a Slave

Crit
Man, I can't wait for Steve McQueen's romantic comedy, Oh, wait: unless that was Shame. That film made me feel icky, Hunger made me feel hungry, and I left this one feeling as if I'd been kicked in the stomach, kicked really hard. It seems absurd to anoint someone after 3 features as one of the great directors of our time, but dammit, bring out the oil. Oh, and by the way: this is the one all the releases for the rest of the year will have to beat for Best Picture next February.
Trailers
  • Black Nativity--Musical based on a work by Langston Hughes, who I'm guessing wouldn't recognize this.
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel--Latest from Wes Anderson looks as if it might be all outtakes from Moonrise Kingdom, but is that necessarily a bad thing?
  • Gloria--If this were a Hollywood pic rather than a Chilean one, I suspect I'd be a lot more dismissive of it; something about not understanding what people are saying makes them sound lots smarter.

No comments: