16 September 2011

, he bled

Drive

Crit
Holy red-dyed Karo syrup, Batman! I'm not particularly squeamish, and I suppose one reason I don't read many reviews carefully is that I don't want to be told whether a film is a bloodbath or not, I only want to be told whether it's worth my seeing it or not, and lead and last grafs of the reviews took care of me there: it is definitely worth seeing. But holy cow--I would have thought at least this would be primarily an adrenaline-pumping fast-driving movie, with maybe some violence and blood in it. I think it's fair to say, though, that this is a violent bloody film with some exciting fast driving and a little bit of character development in it, so I'm just telling you: if spurting blood and bone-stomping are dealbreakers for you, stay the hell away. And at least one other member of my viewing party would say the same.

On the other hand, if you want to see (again) how good Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan can be with about 15 lines of dialogue each, if you want to see whether AMC stars like Bryan Cranston and Christina Hendricks can make it work on the big screen (yes, they can--and Hendricks shows herself to be completely without vanity), if you want to see whether Ron Perlman's head is becoming ever more rectilinear, or if you're committed to screening the entire oeuvre of Jet-all-the-way Russ Tamblyn (look fast--he's the doctor!), then go for it.
Trailers

No comments: