14 August 2010

Wouldn't it be nice

Eat Pray Love

Crit

Good lord, 45 minutes of eating, 45 of praying, 45 of painstakingly learning to love again; thank god it wasn't Eat Pray Love Change Your Oil; I couldn't have taken another 45 minutes.

Thoroughly unimaginative, thoroughly unsurprising script, wherein every seven minutes, like clockwork, a peripheral character tells Liz (Julia Roberts, who should fire her agent immediately) Something She Needs to Know. Gah!

Three things make it tolerable: the scenery (though the Rome we see--including even the food--is Rome for Cliché Lovers); Richard Jenkins, who manages to sell the most gloppy dialogue; and the surprise of hearing João Gilberto sing "'S Wonderful."

Trailer

  • How Do You Know (no question mark sic)--Despite James L. Brooks and a promising cast, I'm skeptical.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really had no desire to see this movie, and now you have convinced me that I made the right choice. I think I could take the 45 minutes of eating, but the other two, no way.