15 May 2010

Tu pasión

El secreto de sus ojos (The secret in their eyes)

Crit
The twisty plot and police-procedural sensibility of this put me in mind of my favorite novel of recent years, Roberto Bolaño's 2666. Both Chileans (like the late Bolaño) and Argentinians (like the screenwriter and director Juan José Campanella, not to mention the novelist on whose work the film is based, Eduardo Sacheri) would probably be annoyed to have me conflate their neighboring countries thus, but there you have it.

Anyway, this is a riveting mystery married to a sad, beautiful love story, and regardless of what I may have said earlier about the Oscar deserts of Das weiße Band, there's no gainsaying the worthiness of this Best Foreign Film winner. One of the best films I expect to see this year.

Trailer

  • Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work--I wouldn't have thought it possible for anyone to persuade me to spend and hour and a half with the subject of this doc, but it looks like a possibility.

No comments: