05 March 2010

Study war no more

Broken Arrow

(1950)
A sentimentalized version of the 1870 Anglo-Apache peace effort in the Arizona Territory, featuring an appallingly goopy love story and white actors in most of the central Indian roles, including the earnest Jeff Chandler as the noblest savage ever, Cochise.

But dammit: James Stewart, OK? And beautiful southwestern locations reminiscent of John Ford country. Those two factors excuse a multitude of sins, and they get a full sin-excusing workout here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget Robert Wagner.

cheeseblab said...

Who could forget Robert Wagner? God knows I've tried!

Unknown said...

My first love.

Jennie Tonic said...

At first, I was alarmed: Why would you watch Broken Arrow again!?!? Then I saw (1950). Whew.

Unknown said...

Now I feel stupid because I just noticed my mistake, probably because I had just watched Broken Lance on AMC. So my first response was to mention Robert Wagner. RJ was not in Broken Arrow. I need to think before I comment.