06 December 2009

Sam I am not

Brothers

Crit
Funny what feelings films inspire. This one gave me a thought I don't remember having before: that it is really a good thing that I have only one child, because I am a born comparer, a born weigher, and if I'd had two children, how would I have avoided making one feel second-best?

Yes, the original was an amazing film, but this one stands up quite nicely, thank you, with moving, convincing performances across the board, the most surprising by 10-year-old Bailee Madison. The one performance that isn't quite what it might be is the location: in the original, dark, cold Denmark is a character in its own right, making the sads sadder and the scaries scarier. Here the locale is Minnesota, inexplicably played by New Mexico, which sometimes feels a bit like a stunt double.

Trailers

No comments: