11 September 2009

Artificial inspiration

The Pope of Greenwich Village

(1984)
Weird: I have a vivid recollection of having my friend Steve Watt tell me how great this film is over the phone while I was living in Grafton, W.Va. Thing is, I lived in Grafton 1981-83, before this film was released. So I wonder what film that was. Steve?

In any case, this was a quarter of a century ago, when Mickey Rourke and Daryl Hannah were gorgeous and Rourke was a kickass young actor. But jesus, Julia's little brother
Eric Roberts is the Pope of Overacting here. How Charlie (Rourke) can love his distant cousin Paulie is as inexplicable as how he can let Diane get away.

Wonderful tiny contribution by Geraldine Page, though in the first of her two scenes the script calls for her to refer to a "4-year-old filly" (starting at age 3, a female thoroughbred is a mare) and to the content of what is clearly a Hennessy bottle as whiskey.

No comments: