10 May 2009

It's just a jump to the left

Star Trek

Crit

You know what word I haven't used much lately? Fun. Well, this is a whole year's worth of adrenalinic, self-referential, mind-warping fun. I'm no Trekkie (or whatever it is that they prefer to be called), but I'm aware enough of the tropes of the original series to get at least the most obvious jokes about what Jennie Tonic calls Star Trek Babies. And I'm a humanist, not a physicist, but I guess I get enough of the weird pseudoscience to sort of get the time-warp. And I've sure as hell seen enough Indy Jones and Star Wars flicks to appreciate the adrenaline rush. All of which equals fun.

Alternate reality: credited as a concept artist (whatever that is) is one Ryan Church, which is the name of one of my favorite New York Mets. Now, I have a compulsion to give esoteric nicknames to my Mets, and when Church joined the team, I immediately translated his surname to the Scots and Middle English version of the word, which led naturally to . . . right: Captain Kirk.

Trailers

Seven of them, seven! Can I even remember them all?

No comments: