03 July 2008

Stuporhero

Hancock

Crit

Maybe it's just me (then again, whose blog is this, anyway?), but what's wrong with a story of an alcoholic, antisocial asshole of a superhero being encouraged by a well-meaning nebbish of a public relations guy to improve his image by becoming a nicer guy? I dunno, I was enjoying that movie, without the revelation of the Big Secret (or BS, as we'll call it henceforth). Yes, the BS coaxed a lot of serious acting from Will and Charlize (and even a hint of cleavage from the latter), and I suppose I have to applaud the effort to keep it from being just another superhero movie. But somehow the BS element just didn't work for me as much, and it certainly wasn't as much fun, as a drunken Hancock first trading insults with his public and then shyly trying to deal with their adulation.

No comments: