25 April 2008

Difficult labor

Baby Mama

Crit

OK, look, if you really want to know what excited me at the movie theater today, jump straight to the second trailer. As for this, well, it's perfectly inoffensive (OK, they refer a couple of times to a woman's "taint," but come on--we're all adults here, aren't we?), and it tries really, really hard to make you love it, but . . .

I dunno--as pretty much a non-TV watcher, I really wanted to like Tina Fey based on stuff I've read about her, but she just seems undecided about whether she wants us to think she's sexy or hilarious, and thus is neither. Somebody tell her she can be both if she plays it right (cf. early Katharine Hepburn, or even Goldie Hawn, fer chrissakes!).

The woman who really grabs me here, of course, is Maura Tierney, in a microscopic role as the Fey character's sister. Has she had a starring role Scotland, PA? And speaking of things with Shakespeare debts, . . .

Trailers

No comments: