08 February 2008

There will be crude

Nyócker! (The district!)

(2004)
Oh, fine: I have to learn Hungarian and Roma (and a little Russian) before I see this again, 'cause there's just too fucking much going on on the screen to be having to read the dialogue and the hip-hop lyrics. This blend of Romeo and Juliet, Dallas, Team America: World Police, and [fill in the title of another edgy Hungarian film, 'cause I don't know any] is about 80% genius, falling short only to the extent that the language of either the original script or the translation is nothing special. But, oh, my: the look and the premise (poor Budapest kids unite across ethnic lines to go back in time and bury a bunch of mammoths so that they can return to the present and strike oil)--tell me again how Surf's Up got a Best Animated Film nomination? (Oh, right: this didn't even make it to the Lower East Side [one week at Two Boots, if I'm not mistaken] until three years after its release.) The upside is that unless you're my neighbor, it'll be pretty easy for you to be the first on your block to see it. Do.

No comments: